In summer 2020, Capital Science Communicators transitioned to an elected leadership structure and process. Henceforth, CapSciComm Professional Members and Student Members are eligible to file for candidacy, and are voted to the Executive Board by their peers. Board Members are unpaid volunteers, serving one-year terms with opportunity for re-election. Click here for the CapSciComm Charter and description of board positions.
If you have feedback or ideas regarding CapSciComm programming, or would simply like to get in touch with the CapSciComm Executive Board, please e-mail us at email@example.com Thank you for being a part of our greater Sacramento region community!
CapSciComm 2020-21 Board Members
PRESIDENT — CORY WARSHAW
Consultant, Public Consulting Group
The Board President sets the annual agenda for implementing CapSciComm’s mission and vision pursuit, and represents the organization in dialogue with other entities and institutions.
COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER — DANIEL ERENSTEIN
The Board Vice President manages volunteer committees, and takes stewardship of organizational institutional knowledge. Activities include coordinating committee chairs and setting regular meetings.
SECRETARY — Patty Bolan
Astrophysics Graduate Student, UC Davis
The Board Secretary manages the operations of the Executive Board. Activities include organizing board meetings and organizing and implementing elections for Executive Board.
TREASURER — ALLIE WEILL
Outreach Coordinator and Science Writer, Federal Government Agency
The Board Treasurer manages and reports organization finances. Activities include processing and verifying membership dues and reimbursements, and keeping ongoing accounting of the treasury.
The Membership Officer recruits and manages the membership community and encourages membership participation, interest, growth, and satisfaction. Activities include analyzing member demographics and needs and assessing member benefits.
COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER — EVAN BRADY
The Communications Officer leads the Communications Committee in managing external outreach, technologies, and properties, such as the website, social media, and event promotions. Activities include sharing relevant news and resources and answering external questions on organization activities and events.
BOARD MEMBERS EMERITUS
- Sarah Barnes, MST — Public Science Chair 2018
- Debra Cooper, PhD — Capitol Chair 2018-2019
- Nick Gray* — Public Science Chair 2015-2018; Executive Co-Chair 2018-2020
- Don Gibson, PhD* — Student Membership Chair 2015-2018
- Andrea Graffis* — Managing Chair 2015-2017
- Ben Young Landis* **— Founder; Executive Chair 2015-2018; Executive Co-Chair 2018-2020
- Dharia McGrew, PhD* — Capitol Chair 2015-2018; Member at Large 2018-19
- Nir Oksenberg, PhD — Professional Development Chair 2018-2019
- Becky Oskin, MS* **— Co-Founder; Professional Membership Chair 2015-2018; Membership Chair 2018-2020
- Katie Rodger, PhD — Professional Development Chair 2017
- Candace Spier Bever, PhD — Professional Development Chair 2015-2016
- Emily Underwood, MA — Journalism Chair 2018-2020
*Members of the original CapSciComm Board, convened July 2015.