When Capital Science Communicators was established in 2013, it was with the community in mind — a new network where we can pool our collective expertise and enthusiasm for science communication, and a chance to pay it forward to colleagues and students seeking encouragement.
The success of our network is in our membership. As members, you bring the genuine energy and diverse perspectives we need to shape and lead our CapSciComm community. The need to nurture great scicomm and science literacy in the Sacramento region remains — and you can play your part!
Why Dues: Running an efficient and energetic volunteer organization takes time and money. Member dues will go towards covering our baseline costs (e.g. domain registration, Google Drive, member swag, venue rental fees). More importantly, building a treasury will open the door for exciting new programming possibilities — such as student scholarships, special events, or annual mixers with other local societies.
Membership Tiers and Benefits
Annual Dues: $10.00
Sending and receiving privileges to Members-Only Slack.
Free or reduced rates for CapSciComm events with fees.
Invitations to Member-Only events, programs, and resources.
Eligibility to run in Executive Board elections.
Eligibility to volunteer for Committees.
Access to private CapSciComm Member Slack Directory.
Annual Dues: $5.00
All privileges of Professional Members.
Eligibility to apply for student-only programs (under development).
(Note: Student membership eligibility extends up to one year after graduation date.)
Annual Dues: No Charge
Receive news and updates via our Community Listserv.
Full rates for CapSciComm events and programs with fees.
Ineligible for Executive Board or Committees.
Ready to Join CapSciComm? Click to Begin!
Memberships are on calendar year terms (January to December).
Renewals and new memberships processed in November or later will automatically extend for the full term of the next calendar year.
Questions about membership? Contact the Executive Board at email@example.com
The CapSciComm Community Code of Kindness
Capital Science Communicators is committed to providing a professional environment at all of our events and digital platforms. We expect our events to be a respectful, harassment-free environment for all people regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, physical ability, nationality, age, socioeconomic status, and belief.
In pursuit of those goals, members and guests at CapSciComm events agree to the following ideals:
- Treat everyone with respect and consideration.
- Be respectful in discussing and debating ideas.
- Follow the rules and policies of the venue and event host.
CapSciComm members and guests will desist from, condemn, and report instances of:
- Harassment and intimidation, including any verbal, written (including via texts or on social media), or physical conduct designed to threaten, intimidate, humiliate, or coerce another participant.
- Discrimination or other actions based on race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, physical ability, nationality, age, socioeconomic status, or belief.
- Stalking or unwelcome or surreptitious photography or recording.
- Physical or verbal abuse or intimidation of any participant.
- Sustained or disrespectful disruption of presentations or events.
- Unwelcome sexual attention, including but not limited to sexualized comments or jokes, displaying sexually explicit material, inappropriate touching, groping, or sexual advances.
Anyone requested to stop unacceptable behavior is expected to comply immediately. The CapSciComm Executive Board reserves all rights to sanction or revoke members and guests who do not commit to community ideals. For any questions about this policy, or to report violations, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org