Our Capital Science Communicators mixer in March will be a mashup of Aggies and ocean science!
Capital Science Communicators Networking Social
co-hosted by the Sacramento Aggies Alumni Chapter
Wednesday, March 25, 2015
6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
de Vere’s Irish Pub, Sacramento
1521 L Street, Sacramento 95814
Free to attend
RSVP Link: http://ucdavis.imodules.com/s/787/alumni/index.aspx?sid=787&gid=120&pgid=4606
Mark this event on your Facebook calendar
We are jointly hosting our happy hour this month with the Sacramento Aggies—the Sacramento chapter of the UC Davis Cal Aggie Alumni Association (CAAA).
Science, medicine, and engineering are among the world-renowned strengths of University of California, Davis, and many Aggies have filled the ranks of industry, government, and academia to make an impact in the Sacramento area. Its proximity to Davis—together with its concentration of government, health, and industry careers—is precisely why Sacramento is such a hotbed for recent and long-time UC Davis graduates. In turn, UCD is filling a vital service as the dominant research university and teaching hospital in the Capital Region.
So this month, we are joining forces with the Sac Aggies to meet up with UC Davis alumni who are in science-related careers! This will be a great chance for our CapSciComm network to explain our skills as science writers, explainers, policy advisors, educators, and creatives—and for the Sac Aggie community to showcase their scientific roles at various public and private organizations around Sacramento.
To jump start the networking, our evening will feature two special guests: Rick Grosberg and Shauna Oh, respectively the Founding Director and the Executive Director of the UC Davis Coastal and Marine Sciences Institute—which began incubating in August 2013 and has now launched as the strategic body organizing ocean science and policy research programs on the Davis campus, the Bodega Marine Lab, and elsewhere around the world.
Rick Grosberg is a professor of Evolution and Ecology and a longtime faculty member at UC Davis—winning the 2010 UC Davis Prize for Undergraduate Teaching and Scholarly Achievement. Professor Grosberg’s research focuses on how genetics and ecology interact to shape the diversity of species and food webs in our coastal ocean environment. But Grosberg also is a proponent of communicating science—he was instrumental in bringing NPR science reporter Joe Palca to speak at UC Davis in November 2013.
Shauna Oh most recently served as the Associate Director for the California Sea Grant college program at UC San Diego, although she is no stranger to our region and to science policy. While with Sea Grant, Dr. Oh worked with the Delta Stewardship Council in Sacramento to administer the Delta Science Fellows Program, which funds and trains doctoral students and postdocs to examine Bay-Delta science questions at the center of state policy issues. Oh also ushered the California Sea Grant State Fellowship, which places current and recent science graduate students in state and federal offices to gain government policy experience.
Ocean science is just one of the unexpected ways that UC Davis research is contributing to our state and the world, and it exemplifies the impact and relevancy our Capital Region has on all manners of communities and environments, however distant and different. So let this March networking social be a celebration of connections! Be you a CapSciComm or a Cal Aggie member, a communicator or a scientist, a seasoned pro or a student, an employer or job seeker—let’s meet new friends and share in our mutual passion for bringing science to California and the world.
See you on March 25th!
Note to CapSciComm colleagues: Please RSVP using this special UC Davis registration link. Due to the expected high attendance of a combined social and the bar’s standing room capacity, we ask that you take a moment to register and help us keep an eye on the headcount. If you no longer can attend and need to cancel, please email Steph Bradley at CAAA. Thank you!
Here’s a glimpse at who’s attending:
- Carlos Alvarado (Wildlife Biologist, Ascent Environmental)
- Matthew Amis (Product Engineer, Intel)
- Tim Bardet (Data Analyst, Kaiser Permanente)
- Stephanie Bradley (Alumni Program Coordinator, Cal Aggie Alumni Association)
- Bridget Bugbee (Alumni Coordinator, Sacramento Aggies)
- Anthony Chica (Denele Analytical, Laboratory Manager)
- Angee Doerr (CCST Science Policy Fellow, California State Senate)
- Jacqueline Garcia (Legal Assistant, Mastagni Holstedt, APC)
- Andrea Graffis (Communications Coordinator, California Landscape Conservation Cooperative)
- Nick Gray (Education Program Coordinator, World of Wonders Science Museum)
- Anahita Hamidi (Graduate Student in Neuroscience, UC Davis)
- Hailey Harrell (Technical Writer, Reynolds Systems, Inc.)
- Hannah Holland-Moritz (Junior Specialist, UC Davis Genome Center)
- Marta Induni (Research Program Director, Public Health Institute)
- Janine Johal (Graduate Student, UC Davis Master of Public Health Program)
- Holly Keller (Science Teacher, Christian Brothers High School)
- Carl Keller (Chiropractor)
- Ben Young Landis (Science Communicator, U.S. Geological Survey)
- Donald Le (Quality Control Analyst, Expression Systems)
- Randi Logsdon (Environmental Scientist, California Department of Fish and Wildlife)
- Chris Logsdon (CTO, EMN8)
- Isaac Mather (Legislative Aide, California State Legislature)
- Tim Miller (Analyst, UC Davis Office of Research Compliance and Integrity)
- Lynn Moquette (Chief, Levee Safety Section, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers)
- Anthony Ng (Associate Energy Specialist, California Energy Commission)
- Alex Paniagua (Product Development Officer, Intel)
- Alex Perez (Senior Water Pollution Source Control Inspector, City of Hayward)
- Roy Peterson (Scientist/Writer, The Peterson Group)
- Pamela Reynolds (Postdoctoral Researcher, UC Davis Environmental Science & Policy)
- Karina Rink (Alumna, UC Davis Biochemistry & Molecular Biology)
- Judy Green Scheible (Copy Editor/Writer, retired, Sacramento Bee)
- Mike Scheible (Deputy Director, retired, California Air Resources Board)
- Brett Smith (Staff Researcher, UC Davis One Health Institute)
- Stephen Stowe (Junior Specialist, UC Davis Environmental Horticulture)
- William Widger (Air Resources Technician, California Air Resources Board)
- D. Colette Williams (Staff Researcher, UC Davis Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital)